Hey everyone! I feel so bad, It’s been almost two weeks since I’ve posted! But I’ve got some good news- I finally found a job! It’s at a cute little family owned bakery. I’m excited. The only bad part about it is I work nights. : / So my schedule is a little off, hence the lack in blogging. But I’ve got lots of fun things to share!
First up, The Zen Soy contest over at Alisa Cooks! Sadly, I didn’t win, but I was a runner up! I’m proud to have done so well with all those amazing recipes. Now that the contest is over, I figured I’d share the recipe on my own blog. I think its a winner. The brownies are so moist and chocolaty! And not only are they dairy free, they’re completely vegan! There’s nothing like delicious cruelty free goodies!
Chocolate Banana Brownies with Coconut Butter
1 cup coconut butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup mashed bananas (approx. 2 bananas)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flower
3/4 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup ZenSoy chocolate milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
- If coconut butter is not soft at room temperature, soften slightly in the microwave. It’s ok if a small amount is melted and liquid. Put coconut butter in mixer fitted with paddle attachment and beat for 30 seconds. Add granulated and brown sugars and beat. It will take on a crumbly texture. Add the mashed bananas, and beat until creamy.
- Mix together the baking powder, salt, flour, and cocoa powder in a separate bowl. Add all at once to the sugar and coconut butter mixture. Mix. When starting to combine, add the ZenSoy chocolate milk on a low speed, so it doesn’t splash over the bowl. Once combined, pour into pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes. The batter is dark, so don’t be afraid that it’s burning. When a toothpick is inserted into the brownies you want them to be just slightly gooey.
- Let cool before slicing and serving, and if desired sprinkle with a small amount of shredded coconut.
Moving on from brownies… As of recently I’ve been obsessed with pancakes. Normally, I’m not into breakfast, but I think since I’m now up when most people eat breakfast, I’m learning to love it. I get off of work anywhere between 6-11 am, so I whip up some pancakes when I get home. I make just enough for one serving, so I don’t have any leftovers.
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Heat a teaspoon of futter (non dairy butter) in a small pan. Mix all ingredients together, and cook up some pancakes!
The amazing thing about these pancakes is you can totally veganize them. I add half a mashed banana in place of the egg, and you’ve got vegan banana pancakes! amazing!
If I’m feeling ambitious, I’ll caramelize the other banana half with two teaspoons of brown sugar and two teaspoons of maple syrup, and serve that over my pancakes. It’s amazing!
Another one of my favorite pancake toppings is apple jelly. I found some in my fridge and decided to try it, and fell in love! Which brings me to my question for you all…. What is your favorite pancake topping??