Lemon Cilantro Cookies

10 Oct

Cilantro has to be one of my favorite herbs. I think I might put it in everything I eat if I could.

You’re probably like, Liz, you’re exaggerating. You wouldn’t put it in everything. Like, you wouldn’t put it in cookies.

That’s where you’re wrong. I would put it in cookies. And I did. And they were delicious.

I had some extra cilantro from my pizza (sans glitter!) So I decided to put it to good use, and make cookies. I’ve always thought that cilantro goes well with lemon, so I decided to make some lemon cilantro cookies.

Lemon Cilantro Cookies

1/3 cup shortening
1/3 cup futter (I used Earth Balance)
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg replacer egg
1 T + 2t lemon juice (separated)
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
2 T lemon zest
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Cream the shortening, futter, and sugar together until it’s fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg replacer egg, and mix until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add 1T of lemon juice, the zest, and cilantro. Stir until combined. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt, and mix until once again combined. This will be a pretty stiff dough.

Roll into walnut sized balls or use a small cookie scoop and place on a cookie sheet covered in parchment or on a silpat mat.

Don’t bother squishing the balls down, they’ll spread out a little while they cook. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes, they’ll seem soft still but don’t cook them too long, you want them to be chewy and soft.

Whisk the powdered sugar with the remaining 2 t lemon juice. When the cookies are cool drizzle the glaze over them. Don’t put too much glaze on, as it’s tart and sweet, so a little goes a long way! This recipe should make about 20 cookies.

I love these cookies. There’s a lot of cilantro in them, but it doesn’t really over power the cookies, it’s very subtle. They’re lemony and chewy and delicious though. The texture reminds me of a cross between a soft sugar cookie, and a chocolate chip cookie.

Do you like cilantro? What’s your favorite way to use it?

About these ads

13 Responses to “Lemon Cilantro Cookies”

1. Shannon @ Healthiful Balance October 10, 2011 at 10:21 am #

Those are some good looking cookies!! :)

2. Julianna @ Julianna Bananna October 10, 2011 at 10:50 am #

these look sooo yummy! :)

3. Haley @ Health Freak College Girl October 10, 2011 at 1:02 pm #

lemon cilantro cookies?! these sound so good! totally different!

4. lactosefreelizzie October 10, 2011 at 5:10 pm #

those sound so good! savory cookies=yum!!!!

5. LightOnMyFeet October 10, 2011 at 6:33 pm #

How creative! I loooove cilantro. and lemon!

6. survivingcandyland October 10, 2011 at 8:25 pm #

cilantro in cookies. That sounds really interesting. Way to be creative. I will def have to try these out then if you think they are good.

7. Christine October 11, 2011 at 8:52 am #

I love cilantro! And I love how green these cookies get when you bake ‘em. Too cute! :)

8. sweetlab November 4, 2011 at 12:13 am #

What a unique idea! I have to try them now because curiosity is killing me.

9. jenna December 21, 2011 at 10:34 am #

Hi what is futter?

• A Tablespoon of Liz December 27, 2013 at 2:15 pm #

(aagg- Sorry about the two years later reply!) Futter is what I call fake butter, or a non dairy butter like earth balance. Regular butter or margarine works just as well however!!

10. carrie December 16, 2013 at 4:08 pm #

I found this recipe last night and was so intrigued that i had to make them today… mine didnt turn out as green as yours, but they were yummy and unique. I will definitely make them again:) Thanks for sharing your kitchen creativity !

• A Tablespoon of Liz December 27, 2013 at 2:14 pm #

Hi Carrie, I’m glad to hear you liked them and that they turned out well! I actually think that maybe them being less green might be better? Normally green foods (at least baked goods, haha) don’t look very appareling to people, lol.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Lime Cilantro… Cookies? | Orange Barrel Industries - March 18, 2013

[...] We had some cilantro leftover from the Indian meal we cooked last week for the printmaking professors at BGSU, Janet & Sarah, and visiting artist Sean Caulfield. Since we’ll be gone 5 days, I knew I had to use it or freeze it, so I had the idea to combine my need for cookies with my need to use up this fresh cilantro somehow. I based my cookies on this Lemon Cilantro Cookie recipe by Liz. [...]