#SnowDay

27 Jan

Snow days for days, is what we’re getting. They aren’t even actual snow days- but just cold days. The school district I work in posted this on their site over the weekend-

Screen Shot 2014-01-25 at 5.31.44 PM
(Name of district blurred out for obvious reasons)

So far this semester has been ridiculous, and I’m sure a lot of you are experiencing the same weather. The first week back after the break was all snow days, then we had one week of actual school, and then last week every day was canceled except for Wednesday, which had a 2 hour delay. It’s looking like we’ll get tomorrow off as well, and at least a delay on Wednesday. I’ll get to student teach someday I guess!

Anywho, my plan for posts this week was a compilation of quick breakfasts I eat before work and lunches that I take with me, but since I haven’t been going to school I haven’t really needed a quick breakfast or a sack lunch.

While I have been eating my peanut butter greek yogurt, I’ve also been craving smoothies lately. Which is odd, since it’s so cold!

IMG_1107
This one has frozen blueberries, strawberries, banana, almond milk, and because all those frozen fruits made it wayyyy to icy, I added a few spoonfuls of what else- greek yogurt. I normally like to add silken tofu to my smoothies, but I didn’t have any.

IMG_1098

I also made this Smashed Chickpea Greek Salad (Recipe here!) to hopefully take to work- but that never happened. I left out the olives and feta cheese, and just added some cut up grape tomatoes to the mix instead of putting them on the sandwich separately. I love greek salad, so this was perfect.

I put it on bread with lettuce for a few days (I packed my lunch up the night before… then ate it at home the next day, haha) but then switched over to lettuce ‘wraps’. The wheat bread I have is really good, but it’s really heavy, and I wanted something a little lighter.

IMG_1105

Served with some cucumber slices. And my favorite Trader Joe’s caesar dressing. (Vegetarian!)

Also another breakfast eat, some scones my students made in class last week!

IMG_1101

This isn’t the more classic scone recipe I’m used to, that has heavy cream in it. This one had buttermilk and sour cream, so they came out with a super tangy flavor. They had dried cherries and chocolate chips in them, yum!

I’ve been thinking about how to do a dairy free version of these, and I know I can just use Earth Balance (Or some other non dairy butter/margarine) and for the buttermilk I can use almond milk with a little vinegar, but I’m at a loss for the sour cream. They do make soy versions, but those I feel like are more protein and not as much fat (I could be mistaken though) and cashew versions are all fat but they don’t have that tangy flavor I’m looking for.

If you have any ideas I’d love to hear them! I definitly want to veganize this recipe and share it on the blog one day soon.

Welp, that’s it for today, I’m not sure how I’m going to spend the rest of my day, (I didn’t think to bring home all the things I’ll need to plan my next unit- I didn’t think we’d have so many snow days!) but I’m sure it will either involve food or a fun DIY project! (Or binge watching netflix….)

Have you been enjoying snow days, or do you live in warmer weather??

About these ads

9 Responses to “#SnowDay”

1. Holly @ My Plant-Based Family January 27, 2014 at 2:31 pm #

I can’t handle smoothies when it is cold but thankfully I live in Arizona so it isn’t really cold often. I’ve been eating Chickpea Salad for the last few days too. I use a different recipe but this one looks delicious.

2. Madison @ Eating 4 Balance January 27, 2014 at 6:51 pm #

This is my favorite scone recipe of all time: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/english-royalty-chocolate-chip-scones/ Not what you were asking for, but I had to share :) I hope to make an allergy-friendly version someday to share on my blog.

Hmmm… For the sour cream maybe you could do a coconut yogurt or almond yogurt. I would think they would have some of that tanginess to them maybe? I found a homemade sour cream recipe made from cashews that looks pretty easy and claims it’s tangy? http://mylivingnutrition.com/2013/07/23/simple-homestyle-sour-cream-dairy-free/ Maybe adding some vinegar and/or lemon juice could be helpful.

Enjoy those cancellations! We have been having terribly cold weather in the negatives and not even a stinking delay for class. My fingers are crossed for a cancelled day tomorrow. Everyone else has one it seems.

• A Tablespoon of Liz January 27, 2014 at 7:46 pm #

Ooo.. I’m glad you shared that scone recipe! I love how there’s orange juice in it. Can you taste it? I feel like orange and chocolate go really well together. And thank you for all the suggestions! I’ll definitly have to get my hands on a few non-dairy yogurts and try that sour cream recipe and do a taste test! (Especially since I have all this free time, haha)

• Madison @ Eating 4 Balance January 29, 2014 at 3:03 pm #

Yes, you can definitely taste the orange juice if I remember right (it’s been a few years since I’ve had them. Lol). But the orange and chocolate do go really well together.

3. Sophie33 January 28, 2014 at 7:32 am #

Hey Liz! tasty niblles! You can make your own vegan cashew sour cream too, way healthier than the fat soy versions by doing this: soaking cashew nuts in water overnight & draining the water & adding abit of fresh water to your Vitamix & adding a bit of lime juice too. So ypu will end up with healthy vegan sour cream! Yummm!

• A Tablespoon of Liz January 28, 2014 at 10:05 pm #

Thanks, I’ll have to try that out in the scones and see how they turn out!

• Sophie33 January 29, 2014 at 3:02 am #

Oki doki!

4. Brittany January 28, 2014 at 10:21 pm #

I tend to want smoothies MORE when it’s cold out..go figure!! I also have been CRAVING scones lately..I MUST MAKE SOME!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. DIY Polka Dots | A Tablespoon Of Liz - February 3, 2014

[…] I’ve had quite a few days off recently because of the frigid weather, I’ve had the time to do some fun DIY crafts and […]